For centuries many different cultures have used the power of colour to heal physical ailments, change emotional state and improve individual’s moods. I am going to explore all of these different areas in the hope that we can all learn something new and gain a skill to help better ourselves in one way or another.
Emotional Effect of Colour:
Colours in the red area of the colour spectrum are known as warm colours and include red, orange, and yellow. These warm colours can change your emotional state; for example, can give you feelings of warmth and comfort.
Colours on the blue side of the spectrum are known as cool colours and include blue, purple, and green. These colours are often described as calm and can help you to relax and feel tranquil.
Physical Effect of Colour:
Many different ancient cultures, including the Egyptians and Chinese, practiced chromotherapy. Chromotherapy is the use of colours to heal. Chromotherapy is sometimes referred to as light therapy or colorology and is still used today as a holistic treatment.
In this treatment
- Red was used to stimulate the body and mind and to increase circulation
- Yellow was thought to stimulate the nerves and purify the body
- Orange was used to heal the lungs and to increase energy levels
- Blue was believed to soothe illnesses and treat pain
- Indigo shades were thought to alleviate skin problems
With more research still exploring the effects of colour there have been some possible findings. Existing research has found that colour can impact people in a variety of surprising ways:
- One study found that warm-coloured placebo pills were reported as more effective than cool-coloured placebo pills
- Evidence has also suggested that installing blue-coloured streetlights can lead to reduced crime in those areas
- More recently, researchers discovered that the colour red causes people to react with greater speed and force
How to Apply Colour Therapy to Everyday Life:
There are many simple ways in which we can use colour to improve our mood and evoke a desired emotional state. Our favourite way to do this is with colourful soap and bath bombs! We have a huge variety of colour here at Scent&Colour. If you want to feel relaxed and tranquil why not pick up a bath bomb or piece of soap in the colours blue, green or purple. Or for a cosy night in and to feel warm and comforted why not treat yourself to a red, orange or yellow bath product?
We love colour! And we hope that now you have read this article we can all enjoy colour even more!